Happy summer! Our Act Out Now big summer project is underway. Many expressed interest in the hygiene kit collection and assembly we are doing for Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach. This is a great opportunity for families with kids of all ages! If you still want to join in on this worthy project, and have yet to contact us, there is still time. Here are all the details of our drive and how it will work.
Who We Are Collecting For
We will be collecting the materials for Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach. Mission Outreach is a not-for-profit organization that addresses unmet medical needs of people in developing countries. The hygiene kits are a valuable product that help save lives. These kits are used as learning tools in literacy, hygiene, nutrition and health classes. The kits are also distributed to people who understand hygiene, but have limited resources.
Items for Each Hygiene Kit
To assemble one hygiene kit, the following items are required:
- 1 hand towel
- 1 wash cloth
- 1 fingernail clippers (no toenail clippers)
- 1 bath-size bar of soap (3oz or larger)
- 1 toothbrush in package (no child-size)
- 1 tube of toothpaste (6.4oz or larger)
- 6 band-aids
- 1 comb (large and sturdy)
- 1 one-gallon zip lock bags
Our Collection Goal
We have an initial goal of at least 25 hygiene kits (of course more would be great!). We hope each family can commit to a certain number of items (e.g. 25 toothbrushes,15 hand towels, etc.).
How to Collect Items for the Drive
- Contact Us: If you are interested in participating in the drive, and have yet to be in touch with us, simply send us a quick e-mail to let us know which item(s) from the list above you would like to focus on.
- Get creative with collecting: Some ways that you can collect items might include purchasing the items yourself, trying to collect items from family/friends/neighbors, doing a letter writing campaign to companies to see if they will donate items, etc.
- Try a Neighborhood Collection: Here you can download a note that can be attached to bags and left for neighbors—you would just need to fill in the blanks on the note, deliver them throughout your neighborhood, and then go back on the date that you indicated to see if anyone donated items.
The Project Timeline
- The Drive: The drive/collection will run through the summer.
- The Packing: We will meet with all the donated items in August to assemble the kits. The exact date will be determined as we get closer. The location of the assembly will depend on the total numbers of participants for this drive. (Maybe we’ll meet at one of our homes or at the local library.)
- The Field Trip (optional): We are planning to visit Mission Outreach to learn more about what they do on Friday, July 19th. Due to their safety/liability rules, Mission Outreach asks that anyone coming to their facility be at least 9 years of age or older. If this outing interests you, please let us know about that too.
That’s it for now. Thank you again for your assistance with this drive. If you have any questions please let us know. We’re really excited about working with all of you on this project. It’s going to be great.